Friday, December 11, 2020

A New Experience in Life

July 2029 - Pleasant City, Nevada
Craig family - Lucas is 22, Andrea is 22, Elliott is 3

(These first few pictures are memories looking back into June at Lucas’s parents’ house in Arcadia, North Carolina. It then moves into July in Pleasant City, Nevada.)

Back in June, Lucas had been there in Arcadia for his little sister’s high school graduation.

“You’ll do great out there,” Lucas said as he hugged her tight.

“I hope so,” Charlotte said, getting a plate of fingerfood from the plate their mom had set up. “And I know you’ll do great too out there.”

Lucas let a deep breath, trying to calm the nervous feeling that had stayed in his stomach ever since he’d accepted his new job. “You think so?”

Charlotte held her chin high in the air. “Of course. It’s the way of life for the Craig family.”

They laughed together and Lucas realized just how much he’ll miss his little sister.

“So where is Mom?” Lucas asked his dad.

“I think she’s hiding upstairs,” Marcus said. “She doesn’t want to face the fact that you and Charlotte both will be gone soon.”

“I don’t want to upset her so much, but this is the opportunity I’ve been waiting for and so I have to take it.”

Marcus smiled. “I understand. She needs some time and then your mom will understand too.”

“Hey, Mom,” Lucas said when he found her upstairs. “Are you hiding from us?”

“No,” Jill insisted. “I’m just checking for dirty laundry in Charlotte’s room.”

“I know you’re upset that we’re leaving,” Lucas told her. “But I promise I’ll talk to you on video chat all the time so you can check in on Elliott.”

“I want you to go after your dreams and I don’t want to stop you,” Jill said. “But that doesn’t mean it won’t hurt to see you go. And Charlotte leaving for college in a few weeks hurts too.”

“We’ll come back to visit every chance we get,” Lucas promised.

Jill hugged him tight. Her first born, her little boy. It hurt so much to think of him gone so far away, but she knew he would make her proud with everything he would do.

 

Charlotte finds them upstairs. "Why are you two cuddling it up in my room? Get your own cuddle cave."

***

Lucas and Andrea have now moved across the country to Paradise City, Nevada. They bought a nice little house in the tiny town.

There isn’t much to do in Paradise City, but the views are amazing.

Lucas and Andrea celebrate the 4th of July shortly after moving into their new house.


Some of the fireworks and firecrackers are a bit frightening.

Andrea is used to just seeing fireworks, not shooting them off herself. She can't help being startled at the lights so close to her and noise loud in her ears.

But it’s still a fun night in their new home!

***

Lucas often turns on music during the day. Elliott loves to dance to it.

When Andrea finds her little boy dancing, she has to join in and do some dancing too!

When he’s not dancing, Elliott sits down with the picture books he pulls from the bookcase. He's growing and learning colors and shapes and the alphabet.

Lucas will join him and read many different books for his little boy. He likes the stories as much as Elliott does.


But reading books isn't the only thing that catches Elliott's attention. He gets into everything around the house as much as he can.

And he lets out loud whines when he thinks things aren't going his way. Most of the time he's sleepy, but he tries to fight that too. Living with a toddler is definitely a different experience than Lucas and Andrea are used to.

The family decides to adopt a little puppy after getting settled into their new home. They name him Mojo.

Elliott isn’t sure what to think of this little guy. He’s never had experience with a dog before and so it’s a brand new thing for him.

But he soon falls in love. Mojo likes the attention he gets and is patient with a toddler chasing after him every chance Elliott gets.

Mojo loves his new home because they have the perfect bed for him to sleep on his back.

***


For an actress, trying to find jobs out here in the barely occupied desert certainly is frustrating!

It's not that she hates living in the desert. It's a whole new world to explore and she certainly supports Lucas in his astronomy career. But it is hard to believe in herself and her own dreams sometimes.

"You'll get your breakthrough soon," Lucas assures her. "You'll be a great star one day and then no one will believe me when I say I know you."

But Andrea doesn't laugh at his joke. She just sighs and says, "I hope you're right. I hope someday I can get that call I've always wanted."

Summer days in the warm desert means Elliott plays in his little pool as often as he can.

He plays with Mojo outside for a little while. Mojo is becoming his best friend.

And then they have a quick lunch outside to enjoy the sunny day before heading back inside to the cool air conditioning.


Time between working means spending an hour or so of the remaining long summer days at the local park.


Lucas likes playing around with the kids when Elliott is playing in the toddler pool with his mom. 


He misses these days of being focused on nothing but playing as much as he could and not worrying about bills and getting promotions.

Lucas is still a kid at heart.

***

Andrea is thrilled when she finally finds a job in her acting career.

Although she is disappointed about the costume. No one will really see her in this commercial! How is she supposed to hope that another director might be interested in adding her to a new show or movie?

But she’s determined to show everyone that she is a good actress and so she does the work needed.

Even if it some of it is a bit embarrassing. Good thing she can learn dance moves quickly!

Andrea is still embarrassed about her job in the commercial, but Lucas is determined to tell her how happy he is for her.

“I know you did a great job,” he says. “You’re the best actress they could have hired. And you’re not bad looking, even in a giant costume.”

Andrea laughs when he tickles her side. “That costume was embarrassing,” she insists. “At least no one will know it was me.”

“I know it was you,” Lucas says, “and I’m proud of you for all the jobs you do.”

Andrea smiles back at him. “I guess you’re my biggest fan?”

He smiles back. “Of course. Always will be.”

——————

For anyone who hasn’t already seen the note on previous posts, Paradise City is StrangerVille. But I didn’t like the name. In my research for ideas on a new name, I read about people trying to settle new cities in the desert areas a hundred years ago or more, and many times the cities were given names to make them sound like paradise to try to attract other people there. And many times the cities didn’t turn into the great wonder the first settlers were hoping for and they fell apart. Which is what happened with Paradise City, according to the history I’ve created in my head. But…the little town does have a military base on the outskirts, something that is being kept top secret here in this quiet town.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that pic of Elliott and Mojo! I need a puppy and a toddler in the same house right now, lol! I'm glad Lucas and Andrea are settling into their new home. And hey, a job is a job, even in a silly costume!

    I love how you came up with the name Paradise City! I heard that Greenland is called Greenland for similar reasons but I'm not sure if it was an urban legend! But anyway, it'll be fun to learn about this secret in the town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elliott and Mojo are so cute together! Elliott did it on his own and I had to take a picture to show that cuteness. :)

      I've heard about Greenland being called that for similar reasons too. One way to try to get possible interest in a frozen area is to name it something other than icy names, lol!

      Delete