Monday, October 19, 2020

Little One, Big World

June 2029 - San Myshuno, New York
Smith family - Sam is 25, Ariel is 22, Alex is 2 weeks old

Being a mom is a whole new world for Ariel. Her days aren’t filled with just thoughts of what fashion she’ll design next.

“I still can’t believe he’s ours,” Sam says when he comes into the room. Ariel finishes feeding the baby and then puts Alex back into his bassinet. He’s two weeks old now, but still so small.

“He’s smiling at me,” Sam says with excitement.

“The doctor said that’s probably just gas right now,” Ariel tells him.

“No, it’s a real smile,” Sam says confidently.

Being parents is a whole new world, but one that neither of them would ever change.

Ariel is trying not to rush back into the fitness routine she did before she became pregnant. But she does feel the need to do some movements to ease back into the old routine.

She takes yoga at the fitness center a few blocks away from their apartment in downtown San Myshuno. Ariel makes sure she does each pose slowly and as comfortably as she can.

At home, Sam puts little Alex to sleep after rocking and singing to him. Once the apartment is quiet, he does his own type of workout with deep meditation.

After her workout, Ariel heads over the massage and steam room to get some relaxation in her muscles.

Sometimes those massages deep into the muscles can seem to be painful.

But at the end of the session, Ariel feels relaxed and happy and ready to take on the world again.

***

Sam’s parents fly north from Pine Hollow, North Carolina. They’re excited to see their very first grandchild.

“Oh, Sam,” Belinda says, hugging her son tight. “He’s beautiful. I knew you’d make the cutest babies one day.”

“Handsome like his grandfather,” Zane says, smiling wide at his joke. The baby doesn’t look anything like his grandfather right now, but maybe some Smith genes will come out as he grows.

“How are you two doing with this parenting thing?” Belinda asks.

“I think we’re doing good,” Ariel tells her mother-in-law. “Although we’re not getting much sleep.”

“That will change as the baby gets older,” Zane says. “Only change a little bit anyway. He’ll still wake up during the night as a toddler, wake up early in the morning as a kid, and then go to bed way too late as a teen.”

“I guess I should be ready for little sleep from now on, right?” Ariel asks with a laugh.

Sam takes his parents out to a street festival near their apartment while Ariel and the baby take a nap. It’s certainly more than anything that goes on in little Pine Hollow.


“Are you sure Ariel is okay with the baby without anyone with her?” Belinda asks.

“She’s fine,” Sam assures her. “She knows how to take care of a baby.”

 “They’re not just kids anymore,” Zane tells his wife.

 “I know,” Belinda says. “But I still worry.” She looks at her son. “Are you sure you’re okay living here? No one knows about your…” She looks around and lowers her voice. “…alien heritage?”

“I tell people it’s a DNA thing,” Sam says. “Which isn’t a lie, if you think about it. They just think I have some kind of messed up DNA. Ariel is the only one who knows the truth.”

“He’s capable of taking care of himself,” Zane says. “Now let’s enjoy our time here.”

Belinda takes his advice and breathes in deep. “This lunch is really good. And there is so much energy out here.”

Sam grins. “Finish your lunch and we’ll look at everything.”

 

Belinda is looking at the gift table and so Sam goes over there to buy her a memento of San Myshuno.

“Here you go, Mom,” Sam says as he offers the box to her.

“Oh, honey, you didn’t have to buy me anything,” she tells him.

 
“I know,” Sam says, “but I want to say thank you for coming out here to celebrate with us and give us advice on parenting.”
 
 
Belinda hugs him tight. “Thank you. And I know you’ll be a good father.”

“He’s had a lot of good fathering to look up to,” Zane says with a wide grin. “Now where’s my present?”

***

Ariel asks her mother-in-law for some advice on taking care of a baby.

“They’re tiny,” Belinda says, holding her fingers up in a small pinch. “Be careful of everything you do. But you don’t have to handle them like they’re completely fragile. Don’t be afraid to hold him.”


“Sometimes I don’t think I’ll ever know what to do,” Ariel confesses. “It’s a whole new world for me.”

 
“I think you’ll figure it out,” Belinda says. “I felt that once too, and then I got double the work at the same time with Sam and Lexi. Having one baby at a time is a lot easier than having two.”
 

 “I’m glad I have just one baby to learn from right now instead of two at once!” Ariel says.

“Oh, it became a piece of cake,” Belinda says. “You learn quickly as a mom.”

  

“Thanks for all the advice,” Ariel tells her. “And for coming to stay with us for a little while.”

Belinda smiles wide. “I wouldn’t miss seeing my first grand baby for anything in the world!”

 “They’re talking about how to be a mom over there,” Sam tells his dad.

“Your mother is an expert,” Zane says with a laugh.

“What about being a dad?” Sam asks. “Does it look like I know what I’m doing?”

“You look like an expert too,” Zane assures him. “Alex will love having you as his dad.”

Sam gives his dad a hug. “Thanks. I’m lucky to have you as my dad.”

1 comment:

  1. Aw, this was sweet! I'm glad Ariel and Sam seem so happy with their new baby. <3 It's not always easy to adjust but they seem like they're doing well.

    ReplyDelete