Thursday, October 8, 2020

Traits and Aspirations

I've been wanting to connect my Sims' traits to the aspirations they choose. The traits are random, I'll roll the dice and let the game decide on their traits--unless I think that trait really doesn't fit that Sim, then I'll roll again in those cases. 
 
But it was the aspirations I didn't know what to choose for most of my Sims. So I set up a page in my Sims spreadsheet that shows each trait, the description provided on a website I found, and then the aspirations I chose that will fit that trait. I may still do some editing to those aspirations on each trait, but I'm working on it for now.
 

(You can click on the picture for a closer look.)

I went through each description of that trait and selected corresponding aspirations. Some traits have a lot of aspirations to choose from, others have just a few. I can use one trait to decide the aspiration that suits that Sim best, or pair both traits together if they both are listed on a certain aspiration.

I also worked the satisfaction reward traits into this list. A Sim can choose satisfaction rewards based on what their aspiration is.

This is helping me a lot and for some Sims I am reconsidering the aspirations they currently have. For example, Lily Gates-Watson had aspiration of computer whiz. Not terrible for her, but with her traits of perfectionist and loves outdoors, instead I changed her to a renaissance Sim. She already has the quick learner aspiration trait from her first aspiration being in the same knowledge category, so I took that and the perfectionist trait plus my own story of her to mean that she wants to be good at a lot of things, not just computer programming! She’s studying history as part of the knowledge side of her. I haven’t yet decided what her career will be, but I’ll take all of these traits into consideration.

Adam Smith has the traits of bookworm and loves outdoors. He also has the trait of gregarious which came with his original Leader of the Pack aspiration. But that aspiration really doesn’t fit him. So I changed it to Freelance Botanist to suit his original two traits. That’s why he is majoring in biology.  

I like this method so much better to have things really sorted out and make me really think about each Sim before choosing the aspiration.

And I’m so invested in my Sims I do have spreadsheets that keep track of every Sim and family, their birthdays and anniversaries, university majors, each round’s schedule, and now the traits and aspirations. I’m a geek myself, lol! But it does help with keeping track of everything.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I love stuff like this. If you plan to so share your mapping at some point, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it. But no worries if you don't.

    I was shocked to see Adam had the Gregarious trait. He doesn't come off that way, lol. Freelance Botanist does sound like a better fit for him. I can see him communing with his plants.

    I love keeping track of my Sims too. I've got a multi-page spreadsheet for my Sapphire Springs Sims. Often, being able to update my records is what motivates me to play the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like this idea! :) Here is the link to the file if you want to take a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bRMt1xkSLppZhbHuYaMYJn9eGQUd-iRV/view?usp=sharing Let me know if you have any problems with it! It does not include aspirations from Vampires or Realm of Magic since I don't have those packs.

      Adam absolutely does not suit that aspiration! I was trying to use his profile information from the previous game creations of him, but that aspiration really did not fit him. I had to give in and choose something related more toward him. I think he'll like this life much more than the Leader of the Pack aspiration!

      Delete
  2. This is very cool - I love a deep dive! I'll be taking a peek at the Google doc later on, so I can take a closer look.

    One thing that bothers me about Sims 4 is that no matter what you do, you can't change that trait they get from choosing an aspiration. So if you marry in a sim, they could end up with some aspiration like Master of Mischief that doesn't seem to suit them at all and even if you change it, they're still stuck with the Dastardly trait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bothers me too! I originally selected aspirations and traits based on the ones they had in my previous TS2 and TS3 versions, but for some of them those aspirations just don’t fit even if the traits do. So I wish we could change that aspiration trait too!

      I hope you enjoy the file, and if you have any questions just let me know! :)

      Delete