Monday, May 24, 2021

A Dad's Opinion

July 2030 - Pine Hollow, North Carolina
Craig household: Marcus is 48, Jill is 48, Charlotte is 19

Charlotte is home from Britechester for the summer. She loves being back in the neighborhood she knows best and spending time with her parents again.

One morning her dad says, “Hey, you should invite Adam over for supper tonight. I’ll cookout on the grill. Do you think he’ll eat veggie burgers?”

Charlotte looks at her mom. “Did he just ask me to bring Adam over? He hasn’t asked that all summer.”

“Maybe he’s trying to get a really good look at Adam to see if he accepts this boy dating his daughter,” Jill says.

“He didn’t have to approve of Lucas dating Andrea,” Charlotte says. “Why is it any different because I’m female?”

“I’m not trying to give approval,” Marcus says. “I’m just trying to be nice and feed this boy. Am I not a nice guy?”

“You’re a dad,” Jill says. “Daddy to your baby girl. And you want to scope things out before it gets too serious. Admit it.”

But Marcus just eats his cereal, not admitting anything.

***

“Your dad wants me to come over,” Adam says after listening to Charlotte’s words. “Today? To eat? With him?”

“He thinks he has to take a good look at you and see if you’re worthy of dating his baby,” Charlotte tells him. “No big deal.”

Adam groans. “It is a big deal. I’ve never had to get dad-approval before.”

“You’ve never been really dating anyone,” Charlotte reminds him. “You should be honored you’re moving ahead in the dating world.”

They head toward the door and Charlotte stops to grab his hands. “You can do this for me, right? I promise it’s not a big deal.”

Adam sighs, but says, “What time do I need to be there?”

 ***

Adam keeps his promise and comes over to the Craig house to eat with Charlotte’s parents later that day.

“These veggie burgers are good,” Adam compliments Charlotte’s dad. “I’ve only had them once before, but these taste so much better!”

“You don’t have to impress him with compliments,” Jill tells Adam. “Don’t worry about getting yourself on his good side with these burgers.”

Charlotte can see how nervous Adam is having a meal with her parents for the first time since they got into this relationship. He laughs at all the jokes Marcus says, even laughing at some things that weren’t really meant as jokes, as if he thinks laughing is the way to get on his girlfriend’s dad’s approval list.

And her dad just stares at her boyfriend, like he’s taking in a long examination to see if this boy is worth approval.

“So how did I do?” Adam asks when they’ve finished their meal. “What do your parents think of me?”

“They think you’re great, I know it,” Charlotte assures him.

Adam sighs. “I hope you’re right. I don’t know if your dad was impressed by me.”

“I’m impressed,” Charlotte says. “You’re good with parents, you’re good with making me laugh. And you’re pretty good in the shower too.”

Adam looks around, his eyes wide. “Shh! Don’t let your dad hear that.”

She laughs as she kisses his cheek. “He approves of you, I know it.”

image

“I don’t know about that boy,” Marcus tells Jill after their time with Adam. “I was his age once. He might be wanting just one thing from my daughter. I know all about that stage of life.”

“And so you know that these boys can still grow into good husbands and fathers,” Jill says. “Don’t be so judgmental on him so soon.”

They find Charlotte outside. Adam just left and so she’s taking a look at the plants around the yard to see how everything is growing.

“We enjoyed spending some time with Adam,” Jill says. “He’s a really nice boy and we think you two make a good match.”

Charlotte smiles at her mom. “I’m glad you like him.”

Jill smirks at her husband. “Your daddy is worried about Adam only wanting to get in your bed, but other than that he might approve of him.”

Marcus sighs. “Well what else is the dad of a college-aged girl supposed to worry about?”

Happy that her parents liked Adam, Charlotte spends time before nightfall examining some rocks she found nearby. She really does love everything about nature and she’s looking forward to finishing her time at college in a couple years and then heading off to work for the better of the earth. The idea of working among the environment is calling her name louder each day.

Marcus spends the rest of his day back to work. He's relieved to find that the book he’s been working on is a success, and that good news brings him even more work from his clients.

 ------------

Marcus's success in his work this round.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad meeting the parents went well for Adam and Charlotte! Good to see Jill standing up for Adam a little too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to see how Marcus and Jill reacted to Adam. Jill smiled and talked with him the whole time and Marcus just kept his stern dad face and stared at him while they ate, lol. It was good that Jill was there to tell Marcus not to overreact!

      Delete